The best gold plated watches have a thin film of gold over a base of stainless steel, bronze and silver. The regular use of these plated watches reduces the life of the watches. The dust and moisture starts gathering on the watch and leaves marks.
How Long Do Gold Plated Watches Last – Life of Gold Plated Watches
The life span of gold plated watches is not too long. How long the gold plating of a watch lasts depends on the use, thickness and base material of the watch. Normally the gold plated watches last long for 1 year but if used occasionally and with care then the life span of gold plated watches increases to 3 to 7 years.
The gold plated watches have a layer of gold on some other material. More the thickness of the plating more is the life of gold plated watch.
The exposure of the watch to the world also determines the life of gold plating. If the watch is used on regular basis then soon it loses its plating due to dust and moisture.
The base material of gold plated watches is also an important consideration to determine the life of plating. Silver as a base in gold plated watches lasts for a long time than that of other materials. You may also be interesting in find How Much Does it Costs to Gold Plate a Watch.
How To Protect Gold Plated Watches
- The gold plated watches can be protected against dirt, dust and other damaging elements just with a little care.
- Always clean your hands before wearing gold plated watch.
- Avoid friction of gold plated watch with hard surface to avoid scratches.
- Wrap the watch after use in a soft cloth.
- Clean the gold plated watch after every use.
- Avoid exposure of gold plated watches to cosmetics, perfumes and other chemicals.
- Apply protection cover on the lower side of the watch if you are much prone to sweating.
- Ladies should not carry their gold plated watch while working in kitchen.
- Store gold plated watch separately.
How To Clean Gold Plated Watches
Cleaning of gold plated watch is as easy as a pie. You can perform this task using some household items. Different techniques can be used to clean dirty and oily gold plated watches.
- Rub your watch with a wet cotton ball before and after every use.
- Apply non gel white toothpaste on gold plated watch with the help of a cotton swab and rub gently to remove dirt spots or patches. Once the spot is cleared wipe it out with wet cloth.
- Slightly wet a soft toothbrush with soap water and gently rub the band of gold plated watch to get rid of dust, oil and dirt. Afterwards wipe off the soap residue with wet wash cloth. Apply this method only for band not the delicate parts of the watch.
- Cotton bud can also help to clean the tricky areas or grooves of gold plated watches.
- Numerous cleaners are available in the market that help in cleaning gold plated watches and jewelry. Choose the best cleaner for your watch after consulting a jeweler or your watch dealer.
- Soak the band of your gold plated watch in ammonia solution for 1 minute only if band is very dirty and then rinse it off with clean cloth and water. Keep in mind this method is only for band not the delicate parts.
How To Polish Gold Plated Watches
The gold plated watches need to be polished on regular basis to maintain their shine. The polishing of gold plated watch can be done at home with metal polish.
- Make the watch dirt free with a wet cloth.
- Rub the metal polish on the surface of gold plated watch with a clean cloth.
- Remove the black particles of metal came off the surface.
- Now apply some baby oil on the surface to remove micro abrasives and remaining metal particles.
- At the end buff the watch with soft cloth.